Sacramento, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: Can you report someone in California for feeding your animals foods without permission?

This may be a dumb question but I live with my mom and my animals. My dogs are severely overweight. My pug should be around 14lbs but is 25lbs. My pug/pit bull mix should be around 28lbs but is 71lbs. When I'm gone to work she feeds them breakfast. I prepare their food so she only has to give it to them. They get a specific expensive food because they won't eat anything else. She has been feeding them human food since they were puppies. They are currently 5 years old. This new food is to weight manage them and get them to a healthy weight while being something they're interested in eating. They've been given human food so much it is difficult to feed them. Aka whole slices of pizza, cookies, ice cream, chips, fries, burgers, etc and constant treats. Their weight is a serious health concern but she's constantly feeding them things a dog should not eat and causing weight gain. Is there no way to report this? She only becomes hostile if I bring it up and there's nothing I can do at work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, it is possible to report someone for feeding your animals without permission in California. Under California law, animal abuse and neglect is a crime, and this includes overfeeding animals or giving them inappropriate foods that may cause health problems.

You can report this to your local animal control agency or the local law enforcement agency. They will investigate the situation and take appropriate action if necessary.

You can also try to have a conversation with your mother and explain the potential health risks to your dogs. You could suggest a compromise, such as giving them a limited amount of human food as an occasional treat rather than a regular part of their diet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.