Gainesville, FL asked in Child Support and Family Law for Florida

Q: Father who resides in Florida has faithfully paid child support after child’s mother filed claim in puerto rico. Child

now 18 and state of Fl sent father letter saying he no longer had to pay child support. Mother filed again in Puerto Rico since they recognize a child until age 21. Does father still have to pay even though FL said he doesn’t because the child is now 18 and considered an adult in FL?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to look at which jurisdiction (state) issued the child support order. If the original order was from Florida and it has terminated because the child has emancipated then you can use that as evidence if there is a new action filed in PR. If the original order is from PR then you are subject to their laws. This may be a complex issue so you should speak directly with a local family lawyer for more specific advice.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.