Pembroke, NC asked in Family Law and Probate for North Carolina

Q: My brother died and his girlfriend want let us get his belongings. He has a 16 year old daughter. Who is entitled to it?

All he has is clothes tools and golf cart trailer

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: I am sorry for your loss.

The disposition of his assets are covered under North Carolina probate law. Someone will need to at least consult an attorney to see how his assets can be distributed. His girlfriend has no legal relationship to him, and therefore has no legal right at all, to do anything with his property.

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If a North Carolina resident dies without a will, is not married, and has a child, the child inherits all property. Go to the courthouse to the Clerk of Court Estates Division for the county where he lived when he passed and open up a simple estate for him. Some Estate departments are "by appointment only" so you should call first. If none of those items have a title, it will be very simple. That way you will have paperwork showing that his daughter inherits everything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.