San Antonio, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Someone I know is stating he lives with me but doesn't. I have stuff here because he went to rehab. What do I do?

My friend went to rehab and got kicked out. We were allowing him to stay until his grandfather's funeral. We found out he stole some of my step-father's pain medication. When he was asked to leave he got violently upset, stated he lived here because he has stuff here. He's stating I stole from him. Telling me that he wins and that he's not finished and telling my mom that this is my fault. My mom is now in fear. My step-father is disabled from a stroke. We don't know what to do. He is bi-polar and an alcoholic and very short tempered. Policed were called. They said they can't do anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Under those circumstances, you should formally evict him. Since there was no agreement as to rent, you need to give him 30 days advance written notice of the termination of any tenancy rights he may have. If he doesn’t leave by then, you will need to file an eviction case in your local justice of the peace court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.