Diana, TX asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Louisiana

Q: How can I get a lawyer to takea case pro bono? Legal Services where I live says they don't have the resources

Child custody and divorce and there is domestic violence involved on my husband against me. He has a very good attorney and I can't afford one. He refuses to pay child support and I don't have a vehicle to get to a job so I'm struggling. Also, he is trying to get domestic charge dropped in order to go for custody. I didn't make it to court bc I literally was struggling from leaving him and couldn't find a ride. It was his second offense so state picked it up and he was sentenced fines and probation, but now he is fighting the charges and feels pretty confident he will have them dropped. What do I need to do to stop that from happening?

1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I'm sorry to hear of the problems you're having. You may be able to find assistance through this website: https://www.lsba.org/public/findlegalhelp/. I would also suggest contacting your local battered women's shelter and/or your parish's District Attorney's Office to see what resources are available to assist domestic abuse victims. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.