Allen, TX asked in Family Law and Small Claims for Texas

Q: Do I have any recourse to claim a chair I purchased for my deceased Mom that my sister agree I could have but took it?

My sister and I agreed that I would reclaim the chair but then she sold my mom's house and everything in it, except what she needed for an apartment including the lift chair. The will gave her the house and the contents that no other sibling wanted - she reneged on our agreement (text messages prove so) - I just want the chair that I paid over $1000 for.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your sister did not give you a reasonable time to remove the chair, you may be able to sue her for the value of the chair.

What constitutes a reasonable time depends on all the facts and circumstances. Barring any unusual circumstances, I would say ten days is likely reasonable and longer periods of time may require unusual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.