Scottsboro, AL asked in Collections and Elder Law for Alabama

Q: I had a judgement against me in 2017. They just started garnishment on Dec 2022. I’m 66 years old. What can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You have a number of options. These options include, consult with a Bankruptcy to see, not only if you qualify, but if it makes sense in your financial condition and future. Protect your assets by having assets in non-collectible, accounts or assets. File claims for exemption.

The first step, should be to consult with their collection defense attorney in your state.

Note, this is only general information, not legal advice. Consult an attorney in your state.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.