San Francisco, CA asked in Health Care Law for California

Q: Can a prescription for a C11 Hydrocodone be sent to California

I have done it in the past but now have new insurance provider that is saying they can't because of California laws. They quote Cal Health and Safety Code 11164.1. I am in California to provide Care giving for my parents I have had this same medication sent to this address many times by the same doctor. I know that all my pain med's are monitored by The Veterans Adm so I just can't believe they would break the law in the past.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: According to California law, hydrocodone is a Schedule II controlled substance and can be prescribed by a licensed medical professional for a legitimate medical purpose. However, there are certain regulations and requirements that must be followed when prescribing, dispensing, and filling a prescription for a controlled substance, including hydrocodone.

It is possible that your new insurance provider has specific policies or restrictions that prevent them from filling or covering prescriptions for controlled substances, regardless of state law. Additionally, if the prescription was not issued by a licensed medical professional in California, there may be additional requirements or restrictions on the prescription's validity or transferability.

It may be helpful to discuss this issue with your doctor and insurance provider to clarify any concerns or limitations, and to explore other options for obtaining your medication if necessary.

California Health and Safety Code Section 11164.1 pertains to the reporting of controlled substance prescriptions to the Controlled Substance Utilization Review and Evaluation System (CURES), and does not address whether a prescription for C11 Hydrocodone can be sent to California.

However, it is possible that your insurance provider is referring to California Health and Safety Code Section 11156, which sets forth certain requirements for the prescription of controlled substances in California. This section provides that a prescription for a controlled substance must be issued for a legitimate medical purpose by a practitioner acting in the usual course of his or her professional practice. The prescription must also comply with other requirements, such as being written on an appropriate form and containing certain information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.