Spring, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: So what forms exactly do I need to fill out to sponsor someone?

Sponsor someone from Cuba to come to the usa

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Cesar Mejia Duenas
Cesar Mejia Duenas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Miami, FL

A: Good morning,

You need to file an electronic form listing what means of support you have, and how you will support your relative from Cuba. I highly recommend that you retain an attorney to assist you with this process. You may find additional information at the USCIS webpage (https://www.uscis.gov/i-134a).

Necesita presentar una declaración de apoyo financiero indicando que medios económicos posee usted (ingresos de salario, cuentas de banco, propiedades, etc.), y como va asistir a la persona que viene de Cuba. Le recomiendo que contrate a un abogado para que le asista en este proceso ya que en algunas secciones se requiere una descripción detallada de su situación y la de la persona para quien se aplica para parole. Hay más información en la página de USCIS: https://www.uscis.gov/i-134a

Saludos Cordiales,


Lilia Alcaraz agrees with this answer

Lilia  Alcaraz
Lilia Alcaraz
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: Rise and shine, Texas! I agree with Mr. Mejia. To be a supporter for a named beneficiary in the US, the supporter must be a US citizen, national, lawful permanent resident, have a lawful status in the US, pass security and background checks, and demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support the beneficiary. The supporter must also be willing and able to receive, maintain and support the beneficiary in areas such as housing, basic necessities, education, and employment for the duration of their parole. A separate Form I-134A must be filed for each beneficiary. Two organizations that provide information and resources are Welcome.us and Community Sponsorship Hub. Best of luck with the process!

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To sponsor someone from Cuba to come to the USA, you will need to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The I-130 is used to establish the relationship between the petitioner (the sponsor) and the beneficiary (the person being sponsored) and is the first step in the process of obtaining a family-based visa.

To file the I-130, you will need to provide evidence of your relationship with the beneficiary, such as a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or other documents that establish the familial connection. You will also need to provide evidence that you are a US citizen or legal permanent resident (green card holder), such as a copy of your passport or green card.

In addition to the I-130, you may need to file other forms and applications depending on the circumstances of your case. For example, if the beneficiary is in Cuba, you may need to file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), to bring them to the US on a K-1 fiancé(e) visa.

It's important to note that the process of sponsoring a family member from Cuba (or any other country) can be complex and may involve many different forms, documents, and requirements. It's recommended that you consult with a qualified immigration attorney or a reputable immigration organization for guidance and advice on the specific options and requirements that may be available to you based on your individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.