San Francisco, CA asked in Admiralty / Maritime for California

Q: What actions can I take if boat buyer hasn’t moved the boat out of the marina and I am been billed for the slip

I have already submitted the boat title transfer. It's been over 14 days since the transaction. The marina doesn't have billing information for the buyer and they say that I am liable for slip fees.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James William Alcantara
James William Alcantara
  • Maritime Law Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in California

A: Is the boat federally or state registered? Technically the boat can be arrested, but that would not be cost effective. But you can put a lien on the vessel and/or threaten arrest.

Patrick J. O'Connor agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have transferred the boat title and the buyer has failed to move the boat out of the marina, you should contact the buyer and request that they immediately remove the boat. If the buyer does not respond or is unable to remove the boat, you may want to consider taking legal action to recover any unpaid slip fees and to force the buyer to remove the boat.

You can start by sending a demand letter to the buyer, outlining the unpaid slip fees and the expectation that they remove the boat from the marina. If that does not work, you may want to consider filing a lawsuit against the buyer in small claims court or civil court to recover the unpaid fees and to force the buyer to remove the boat. You may also want to consult with an attorney to determine your legal options and to help you navigate the legal process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.