Lufkin, TX asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: Inherited rental property question

Just inherited an old rental property that has had a couple living there for decades. There is no current official contract, and we told the tenants we would keep the payment agreement that was set in place before former owners passed away. After recently visiting to make repairs, we discovered the house is in terrible shape and needs multiple repairs, which will cost more than the house is worth. (It is an old, small frame house). We feel the house could be unsafe, and need advice on what we should do as the brand new owners.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alisha Melvin
Alisha Melvin
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Has the property already been transferred to your name as owners? I would have the property inspected by a reputable home inspector. At the very least I would get a a comparative market analysis and/or appraisal to see if you can pull out any funds to make the necessary repairs. If you are considering ending the tenancy you would need to provide the tenants with the required notice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.