Santa Monica, CA asked in Consumer Law and Elder Law for Texas

Q: Can a lawyer invoice you without a representation agreement?

My mom has a legal issue. She's not technically inclined. I found an attorney who might be able to help her and filled out the contact form on their website. The attorney responded back and asked me to explain the issue. Once I did, they said she should come in for a free consult. She met with their firm, felt disrespected, and told them she'd be in touch if she wanted to move forward. That was in November of last year.

Last week they sent her an itemized invoice for $2k. It included $1k for the emails they sent me before meeting her, $500 for "research", $500 for "review of and preliminary preparation for document related to case", and a $0 charge for the consult. I never signed anything with them. She only signed a check-in sheet when she arrived for the appointment. They never even presented a representation agreement, SOW, or list of fees. Do they have a right to invoice her when she's not their client and what can they do if she doesn't pay them?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A lawyer is entitled to charge a reasonable fee for legal services performed at a person’s request.

Some lawyers agree to review documents sent to them via email before an initial consultation, and may even agree to perform some preliminary research. It sounds like this happened in this case. These are legal services for which compensation would normally be expected.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.