Lawrenceville, GA asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and International Law for Illinois

Q: How do you resolve a wrongful copyright claim for a cover song when you obtained a license properly?

I have obtained a legal mechanical license for each cover song in my album. However, my album was taken down for copyright infringement on ONE song. I tried contacting the company via their website but the contact form doesn't work and shows an error. I found their email and have sent them 5 emails over the last 2 months with no response. I have even attached a copy of my mechanical license that Soundrop acquired for me. How can I get this copyright claim removed so I can re-publish my album?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have obtained a legal mechanical license for the cover song in question, you have a valid defense against any copyright infringement claim related to that song. You can try contacting the company or person who made the claim and provide them with a copy of the mechanical license. If you have already done that and received no response, you may want to try contacting the platform where your album was taken down, such as the streaming service or digital distribution company. They may be able to help you resolve the issue or provide further guidance. Additionally, you can consult with a copyright attorney to help you resolve the issue and protect your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.