Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Entertainment / Sports Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports, Intellectual Property and International Law for Illinois on
Q: How do you resolve a wrongful copyright claim for a cover song when you obtained a license properly?

I have obtained a legal mechanical license for each cover song in my album. However, my album was taken down for copyright infringement on ONE song. I tried contacting the company via their website but the contact form doesn't work and shows an error. I found their email and have sent them 5... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 25, 2023

If you have obtained a legal mechanical license for the cover song in question, you have a valid defense against any copyright infringement claim related to that song. You can try contacting the company or person who made the claim and provide them with a copy of the mechanical license. If you have... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports for Illinois on
Q: My account has been suspended from the service Venmo, and they refuse to tell me why. I did not violate their terms.

I was randomly barred from using the service and after reaching out to them they said I violated their terms. They refuse to tell me what I did that violated their terms. They say they deemed my account “high risk” and will not tell me why, I barely used the service and for agreeable and... View More

George W. Svoboda
George W. Svoboda
answered on Jun 29, 2020

Unfortunately, they can choose not to do business with you and terminate the agreement. They do not need to explain why in most cases. You posted this under entertainment / sports. Did you use the account for gambling? That is against their TOS. If you have evidence your account was hacked, you can... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Entertainment / Sports for Illinois on
Q: Does this artist management clause allow a manager to collect post-term from platforms like Tunecore or Distrokid?

I was curious if these digital platforms would fall underneath this clause if the manager uploaded the music, because while they are considered DIY platforms, technically they are creating a contract with the distributor whether it's Tunecore, Distrokid, CD Baby etc. Here's the exact... View More

Edward X. Clinton, Jr
Edward X. Clinton, Jr pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jun 7, 2019

Yes, the agreement requires the artist to pay commissions on contracts entered into during the term of the agreement. So if an artist enters into an agreement with medis company X during the term of the agreement, the manager would seek to collect a percentage of that income.

This clause...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Copyright and Entertainment / Sports for Illinois on
Q: Is viewing a movie from a streaming sight illegal? Owning no copy of the movie.
Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on Feb 27, 2019

Very possible.

If the streaming site is not licensed you may be contributing.

Stick to official channels and pay, it is not worth the risk

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law, Entertainment / Sports and Gov & Administrative Law for Illinois on
Q: What permits would I need to be able to use abandon buildings for my business?
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Aug 28, 2015

Find out from the city government.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.