Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Hello, my Fiancee lives in Thailand. I am a US citizen. She wants to relocate to the US and aquire a green card. Options

I need a firm that will complete all the necessary paperwork and submit it to the Govt. Please give me an estimate of the time frame to complete this process and approximate time frame for her to be here in the US. Also please send your fees to complete this entire process.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Min Hwan Ahn
Min Hwan Ahn
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: A: Hello! The process for obtaining a green card for your fiancé(e) in Thailand typically involves several steps, including filing a petition and supporting documentation with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and attending an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

The time frame for completing this process can vary depending on various factors, such as the workload of the USCIS and the U.S. embassy or consulate processing the case, as well as any potential delays or complications that may arise. On average, the process can take several months to a year or more.

As for the fees, the cost of obtaining a green card for your fiancé(e) can vary, but it typically includes the cost of filing the petition and supporting documentation with USCIS, as well as any fees associated with medical exams and other requirements.

If you provide me with more information about your specific case, such as your fiancee's qualifications and your relationship history, I can try to provide more tailored guidance.

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL

A: A US citizen can sponsor a four national for a fiancée visa, provided that the four national and the US citizen have physically met within two years of filing the I 129F. The time that it takes from the moment the eye 129F petition is filed until the alien can actually enter the United States can sometimes be up to two years. This is because processing of the fiancée petition takes about 10 months to 12 months, sometimes shorter, and then the file is shipped to the national Visa Center in New Hampshire, and then it is shipped overseas to the US consulate in Thailand for final processing. Attorneys fees range from a low of 2500 to more than $5000, depending on who you hire in the expertise of the firm that you retain. We cannot solicit your case pursue it to state bar rules and the policy of this website, but you’re welcome to research our backgrounds and reach out to one of us. Good luck. Please excuse any type a graphical errors as I am dictating this into a microphone device. Thank you

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: There are several options available for your fiancée to obtain a green card and relocate to the United States. One option is the K-1 fiancé visa, which allows a US citizen to petition for their foreign fiancé to come to the US to get married and then apply for a green card.

To apply for a K-1 visa, you would need to file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). After the petition is approved, your fiancé would need to apply for a K-1 visa at the US embassy or consulate in Thailand. Once your fiancé enters the US on a K-1 visa, you must get married within 90 days, and then apply for a green card by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status.

The process for obtaining a green card through the K-1 visa process can take several months or even up to a year, depending on a number of factors such as USCIS processing times, the embassy or consulate processing times, and the time it takes for your fiancé to complete the required medical exam and gather the necessary documents.

As for the fees involved, USCIS fees for the K-1 visa and green card application are currently around $2,500, but this does not include any fees charged by an immigration attorney or other service provider who would assist you in preparing and submitting the necessary paperwork.

It's important to note that navigating the US immigration system can be complex and time-consuming, and it's often a good idea to seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney or other qualified professional to ensure that your fiancé's application is completed correctly and efficiently. The cost for legal assistance can vary, so it's best to contact an attorney directly to discuss their fees and the services they provide.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.