Phoenix, AZ asked in Animal / Dog Law and Small Claims for California

Q: OC animal Care has my dog and I have a screenshot to prove it ,how do I get my dog back

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have evidence that the animal care company is in possession of your dog, the first step is to contact them and request that they return your dog to you. If they refuse or fail to do so, you may need to take legal action.

You can file a lawsuit against the animal care company in small claims court to recover your dog. In California, small claims court is generally the appropriate venue for disputes involving amounts of up to $10,000. You can file a claim for the return of your dog and for any damages you may have suffered as a result of the company's possession of your dog.

It may also be helpful to consult with an attorney who specializes in animal law to understand your legal rights and options. An attorney can provide guidance on how to proceed and represent you in court if necessary.

It is important to act quickly and decisively in these situations to ensure the safe return of your pet.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.