Rockville, MD asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Maryland

Q: Do I need to go to court for a subpoena involving a peace order violation if I don’t want to proceed with the charges?

I had a peace order which since has been modified from no contact to no hostile contact which was violated because of a misunderstanding. I don’t want to move forward with any charges and have told the SA that but have still been subpoenaed. I was told by the defendants attorney that I don’t need to go to court. Is that correct?

1 Lawyer Answer
Scott Scherr
Scott Scherr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you are subpoenaed, you are required to come to court. It may be that if you do not show up, nothing will happen to you. However, the prosecutor can send the police to bring you to court or the judge can order the authorities to bring you to court. This may not happen a lot, but it does happen on occasion.

Mark Oakley agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.