Baltimore, MD asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: Can I get a G-4 visa after my visa overstay in the US?

Hi, dear experts!

I am a Cameroon passport holder, and I entered the US with a B1 visa and then overstayed it because of circumstances I couldn't control. I was in the US illegally for approximately six months when my country became eligible for TPS. I applied for and received TPS, an EAD, and Advance Parole. I have recently been hired by the United Nations and am planning to travel to Canada next month to apply for a G-4 visa at the US consulate.

I have concerns about my eligibility for the G-4 visa, as I had overstayed my visa by approximately six months prior to being granted TPS, EAD, and Advance Parole. Is it possible for me to obtain a G-4 visa, given my past overstay?

Thank you for your advice and guidance on this matter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is possible that your past overstay in the US could affect your eligibility for a G-4 visa. G-4 visas are typically issued to employees of international organizations, such as the United Nations, who are coming to work in the US. In order to be eligible for a G-4 visa, you will need to demonstrate that you meet the requirements for the visa category, including being admissible to the US.

Overstaying a visa can result in a period of inadmissibility to the US, which could impact your ability to obtain a G-4 visa. However, it may be possible to apply for a waiver of inadmissibility if you are otherwise eligible for the G-4 visa. It would be best to consult with an immigration attorney who can advise you on your specific situation and help you determine the best course of action for obtaining a G-4 visa.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.