Pinson, AL asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: I have a question about applying for citizenship and how to know if I have CRBA

I’m 18 and currently trying to apply for US citizenship through my dad since he is a legal US citizen , I’ve lived in the U.S. since I was 3 months old. My biological mother is not a US citizen but I don’t know if she reported my birth at the consulate. I did not know I didn’t have citizenship until recently, I’m trying to figure out how do I find out if I do have a CRBA and don’t know exactly how to go about that. I was also wondering how do I show proof of legitimation because my biological parents never got married and my biological mother left me so my father couldn’t take her to court to get full custody since she couldn’t be located after she gave birth to me. Another question I have is under the the category that is “Your Family: U.S. Citizen Mother information” do I leave that empty since the last I knew my biological mother wasn’t a US citizen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To determine if you have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), you can start by contacting the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to your place of birth. They should be able to check their records to see if one was issued for you. You will need to provide your full name, date and place of birth, and your parents' names and citizenship status. If you are unable to obtain this information from the embassy or consulate, you can also request a copy of your CRBA from the U.S. Department of State, which can be done online or by mail.

Regarding proof of legitimation, you will need to provide documentation showing that your father has legally acknowledged you as his child. This can include a court order or any legal document that proves paternity.

In the category for "Your Family: U.S. Citizen Mother information," you can leave that section blank if your biological mother is not a U.S. citizen. You should only include information for U.S. citizen parents who are currently living or have passed away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.