Richmond, TX asked in Personal Injury, Identity Theft and Small Claims for Texas

Q: If an inmate is sent a package (iCare) and gets out before he receives it, is there ground to sue if they forge name?

On December 21, 2022, I ordered a care package for an inmate in Fort Bend County. The inmate was released before receiving the package. However, instead of issuing refund, iCare stated he received and signed for package. They sent me an email with a forged signature. They refused to issue a refund. The only issue I see is when I told the person, against my wishes, he called the jail and "straightened" the situation out and they sent a follow-up email Feb. 6, 2023 stating a refund will be issued. The refund still hasn't been issued yet. Even though the charge was only $37.82, I would like to know because they tried to forge the name and keep the payment, is there a lawsuit that can be brought against them in any way?

1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Yes. You can sue them for the forgery. You will have to prove who exactly did the forgery which may prove to be difficult.

Your damages are $37.82. So I would not expect an attorney to take the case on a contingency fee. You will have to do the cost-benefit analysis yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.