Asked in Business Law for South Carolina

Q: What documents need to be filed to add new directors to an established 501c3 nonprofit in South Carolina?

Would this be done using the Articles of Amendment on the Secretary of State website? If so, would it be added in the Additional Amendment Info area and what wording should be used?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: It's very unlikely that you need to file anything with the state to add new directors. It is likely that your 501(c)(3)'s bylaws contain a provision that sets out the minimum and maximum numbers of directors and how the directors are chosen. To add new directors, your most likely course of action would be to follow the procedures that are written in your bylaws. If your bylaws have a limit, and if you have reached that limit and want to add more members to the board of directors, then you would likely need to follow the procedures for updating your bylaws to make the number of possible directors closer to what you want.

There is a slight chance that your articles of incorporation have placed a limit on the number of directors, but that is unusual. If that is the case, then you would need to file the procedures for amending your articles of incorporation.

However, remember that as a 501(c)(3) you probably have to file a registration form with the Secretary of State's charities division. That form requires that you list all of the officers and directors. If it's time for you to file your annual charity registration, you can simply add the names of the new directors to your form.

If you find yourself saying, "we don't have bylaws," or "I didn't know that I was supposed to file an annual report with the charities division," consider a quick call with a nonprofit organizations attorney.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.