Asked in Probate for Michigan

Q: What happens in a probate case in which I’m considered an interested person?

I’m considered a person of interest in a probate case and a relative has been asking a mutual family friend to help get me to sign papers for my deceased grandparents property. I’m not interested in this property at all, however I refuse to speak to nor cooperate with this relative simply because they have threatened my life and I will protect my safety and peace by any means necessary. This relative has lived in this property for well over 40 years and it was her biological parents home(which is my grandparents and I am that relatives niece). Will this relative be able to obtain the property without my signature? Neither of my grandparents had a will!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Trent Harris
Trent Harris
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Jackson, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: An "interested person" under Michigan law is someone who is entitled to notice in a probate case for due process reasons. Interested persons are notified of the proceedings so they can participate in the process if they want to.

From your question it sounds like you don't want to participate. That is your decision. If you don't want to be contacted personally by the other involved parties you could hire an attorney to deal with them instead. As to whether your relative can get the property without your signature, no one can really tell you based on the limited information given here. You should get a consult with a local probate attorney to go over all the relevant facts and circumstances.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.