Saint Johns, FL asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Animal / Dog Law for Florida

Q: Are there any attorneys that would take case against a company regarding a recalled product that killed my bulldog?

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: So sorry to hear about your loss. Unfortunately, the measure of damages for the loss of your pet, as provided by law, would likely be only the fair market value of a bulldog of your dog's age at the time of his/her death and any vet bills associated with the incident. So the money that you could potentially recover could very well be less than the amount necessary for legal representation. You have the option of representing yourself in small claims court (suing for $8,000 or less), where the procedures are simplified so that you generally don't need a lawyer - but to prove that a product killed your pet, you may need to have an expert witness testify. If you have to pay such an expert, that cost is potentially recoverable along with your other court costs (excluding any attorney's fees), if you move the Court for such recovery upon prevailing. If you have a vet's opinion that the product caused the death, you could try presenting a claim to the company (or their insurance company), attaching the vet's written opinion.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.