Reno, NV asked in Animal / Dog Law for Nevada

Q: Can I get a dog back from my ex wife if I was the one who originally paid for it?

I got divorced in August of 2020. We had 3 dogs while married, one of which I bought from my best friend. When my ex and I sat down to go over our belongings, and who gets to keep what, we had an agreement that she would keep two dogs, and I would keep the one I paid for. This was a verbal agreement. I messaged her towards the end of 2022 to tell her I was ready to pick up my dog by the end of the year. She told me straight up that I can’t have my dog back, so I need to know if I have any legal recourse. My best friend that I purchased the dog from can vouch that I purchased the dog from her for $300. I would like to be able to have my dog back in the near future, but I know if I try to go pick the dog up at her parents house, they will do anything to keep the dog and to not let me have her back. Is there a way that I can have them served paperwork that forces them to return my dog to me? My dog is located in New Mexico and I am unaware of my rights in this matter.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If your divorce was in Nevada you can file a motion requesting her to return your dog that was purchased from your friend.

Filing the motion does not mean that you will automatically be awarded the dog but it will give you the opportunity to have your request reviewed by the court. Per the above, you would want to include your proof that the dog was purchased by you. Facts that could go against your argument is the amount of time that has passed, how long has she held onto the dog before you asked for the dog back, if she has paid for significant things for the dog ( vet bills) that there is no written agreement and that the dogs were not included in the divorce decree.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.