North Little Rock, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: I live in AR, ive never been in trouble, in oct i was arreated for class c felony poss less than two grams of fentanyl

it was 10$ worth, i immediately got clean, went thru med detox, got in a research treatment prgm, in therapy and NA meetings, got a job giving back to the community at a local non profit, im a single mom of 3, my youngest has special needs and no one knows how to handle him but me, i know that the minimum sent is 3 yrs n max 10 and 10,000 fine. but for people in my situation, do they offer alternative sentencing and is that more likely, i need to also mention that ive been a nurse for 18 yrs and wasnt working at the time due to health issues unrelated. this arrest also occured in lonoke county.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: You mention "alternative sentencing." You would likely be a candidate for drug court where, upon successful completion of a prescribed program you do not have a conviction. Given your occupation, it is very important that you not get a felony conviction. I suggest that you get an experienced attorney to see first if you have a case that is likely to be successfully defended or if the prosecution might reduce your charge to something less than a felony.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.