Seattle, WA asked in Federal Crimes and International Law for Delaware

Q: What would US diplomats in the UK do a British woman gives birth to a child

What would US diplomats in the UK do a British woman gives birth to a child and she makes clear that she does not want her child to be a US citizen because of the IRS taxes and does not want her child taken out the UK and Ireland and does not want her child to visit the USA before age 18 for child custody reasons.

A child who is a US citizen and resides outside the US may be subject to US tax laws, including reporting requirements and potential tax liabilities, as mentioned earlier. This is the main reason why many children born outside the USA to an American parent do not want to become a US citizen but will claim citizen ship of country of birth.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • International Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a British woman gives birth to a child in the UK and does not want the child to be a US citizen, US diplomats in the UK would not have any involvement in this matter. It is the choice of the parents whether to apply for US citizenship for their child or not. If the child is not a US citizen, they would not be subject to US tax laws or reporting requirements. However, if the child is a US citizen, they would need to comply with US tax laws regardless of where they reside. The decision to restrict travel or visitation to the US before the age of 18 would be a matter for the parents to determine and arrange accordingly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.