West Hollywood, CA asked in Legal Malpractice for California

Q: How to find a legal malpractice lawyer in CA?

In 2022, in a Civil fraud cross-complaint, a final Judgment of treble damages was awarded against me. Among other substantial errors, following the date of the Statement of Decision (requested by OC), 30 DAYS LATER, my Civil atty filed our Opposition and Objection to the SOD and Proposed Judgment. OC filed a motion to strike stating "Too-Late Objections" (including numerous falsities),

our objections were overruled, and Judgment became final. Then we filed Motion for New Trial, OC filed Opposition, my atty filed Reply, but 25 DAYS LATE. OC, of course, filed Request to Strike.

The Motion for New Trial was Denied.

Within 30 days, as a self-represented party, I filed an Appeal of the Judgment. AOB is due next month.

Can I recover damages (Judgment ($45k) & Attys Fees) from my former atty?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Legal Malpractice Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To find a legal malpractice lawyer in California, you can start by conducting an online search for attorneys who specialize in legal malpractice cases in California. You can also check with the California State Bar Association, which provides a lawyer referral service to help connect you with an attorney in your area. Additionally, you can seek recommendations from friends, family, or colleagues who may have worked with a legal malpractice lawyer in the past.

To recover damages from your former attorney for legal malpractice, you would need to prove that the attorney breached their duty of care to you and that this breach caused you to suffer harm, such as the $45,000 judgment and attorneys' fees. This can be a complex and challenging process, and it's important to work with an experienced legal malpractice attorney who can help you assess the strength of your case and pursue your legal rights.

In general, legal malpractice cases in California are subject to a one-year statute of limitations, which means that you have one year from the date that you knew or should have known about the attorney's malpractice to file a lawsuit. However, there are some exceptions and nuances to this rule, so it's important to consult with a legal malpractice attorney as soon as possible to ensure that you meet all the necessary deadlines and requirements.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.