Andover, MA asked in Tax Law for Massachusetts

Q: I paid income tax to the state last year, but then received a refund check in November due to a late change in the law

to address a surplus. I also received a tax form for the refund to enter on this year's state return. The amount I paid does not equal the refund. How do I enter these values on my state return?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: When reporting your state income taxes on your tax return, you should enter the amount of state income tax that you actually paid during the tax year, which would be the amount that you paid before receiving the refund check in November. You should not include the refund amount as part of the state income tax that you paid.

When you enter the refund on your state tax return for the current year, you should report the amount of the refund that you received as a separate item. Depending on the specific tax form you are using, this may be reported as a credit, a subtraction, or in some other manner. Be sure to follow the instructions provided on the form to accurately report the refund amount.

If you are uncertain about how to report the state income tax payment and refund on your tax return, you may want to consult with a tax professional or refer to the instructions for the specific tax form that you are using.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.