Boston, MA asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: When I can Apply for citizenship, is it 5 years from the date of issue of my Greencard or from the asylum approval date?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The five-year period for eligibility to apply for U.S. citizenship starts from the date that you became a lawful permanent resident (LPR) and received your green card. This is typically the date on which the green card was issued, which can be found on the front of the card.

If you received your green card through asylum, the five-year period starts from the date that you were granted asylum and became an LPR. This date is typically the date on which the asylum officer granted you asylum status, which should be noted on your asylum approval notice.

It is important to note that meeting the five-year residency requirement is just one of the eligibility requirements for naturalization. To apply for U.S. citizenship, you must also meet other requirements, such as being able to speak and read English, having good moral character, and passing a civics exam.

It is recommended that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney to ensure that you meet all the eligibility requirements for naturalization and to help you navigate the citizenship application process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.