Santee, CA asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for California

Q: A friend received a subpoena for bank records from another state that is investigating potential fraud of the unemployme

nt system. He needs legal advice. They think he's involved somehow.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If your friend has received a subpoena for bank records related to an investigation into potential fraud of the unemployment system in another state, it is important that they seek legal advice from a qualified attorney as soon as possible.

An attorney can review the subpoena and advise your friend on their legal rights and options. Depending on the circumstances, they may be able to challenge the subpoena, negotiate the scope of the records requested, or seek to quash the subpoena altogether.

It is important for your friend to take the subpoena seriously and to comply with any legal obligations they may have, while also protecting their legal interests and rights. This may include preserving any relevant records, responding to the subpoena in a timely and appropriate manner, and engaging in any necessary negotiations or legal proceedings.

Fraud investigations can be complex and can have serious consequences for those involved. It is therefore essential that your friend seeks the advice of a qualified attorney who can provide them with guidance and support throughout the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.