Erie, PA asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: After obtaining a winning judgement in a civil case in PA, can I get a lawyer then and add those fees to the judgement?

I recently sued my landlord in small claims court in PA for double my security deposit and won because they didn't even bother to respond to the case. I'm currently waiting for 30 day appeal period to end and as I've been preparing for any possibile appeal or learning how to collect the judgement, I've figured out it's way more complicated now. If I were to hire an attorney now at this point, would I be able to add any legal fees to the total judgement? The lease agreement that I sued over does include a section stating that all legal fees must be paid to the winning party in any suit, but I'm not sure if that would apply anymore or not.

*Update: assuming the other party appeals to the court of common please and I were to hire a lawyer for that, would I be able to then request those legal fees added to the judgement?

1 Lawyer Answer
Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Philadlephia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Unfortunately, the amount of the judgement can’t be increased after the judgement has been issued even if it costs you to collect the judgement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.