Dover, NH asked in Immigration Law for Massachusetts

Q: i arrived to US last month with B2 visa. i want to change my visa to green card. my sister is Citizen can she request?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you arrived in the US on a B2 visa and wish to obtain a green card, you may be eligible to do so through a family-based immigration process if you have a qualifying family member who is a US citizen or lawful permanent resident.

If your sister is a US citizen and at least 21 years old, she may be able to sponsor you for a green card. However, it's important to note that the process can be complex and time-consuming, and there are a number of factors that will be considered in determining your eligibility for a green card.

Some of the key factors that will be evaluated include your relationship to your sister, your immigration status and history, your employment and financial situation, and any potential legal issues that may affect your eligibility. It's also worth noting that there may be other family members who could potentially sponsor you for a green card, depending on your specific circumstances.

To begin the process of applying for a green card, you should consider consulting with an experienced immigration attorney who can help guide you through the process and advise you on your options. They can also help you determine whether your sister is the best option for sponsoring you, and help you gather the necessary documentation to support your application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.