Jonesborough, TN asked in Business Formation, Business Law and Tax Law for Virginia

Q: I am trying to figure out what licenses I need to start my woodworking business in VA

Do I need a sellers license to sell my projects I make? Do I need any business licenses? I can’t find anything on it. Please help

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Virginia, if you are operating a business, you may need to obtain a business license from your local city or county government. This is typically done at the city or county treasurer's office. The requirements for a business license may vary depending on the location and type of business. It is best to contact your local city or county government to find out what specific requirements you need to meet.

As for selling your woodworking projects, you may need a sales tax license to collect and remit sales tax. In Virginia, the Department of Taxation issues sales tax licenses, and you can apply online through their website. If you plan to sell your products online, you may also need to register for an online sales tax account with the state.

In addition, if you plan to operate your business from a commercial location or employ workers, you may need additional licenses and permits, such as a zoning permit or a health permit. It is always best to check with your local government offices to ensure that you have all the necessary licenses and permits to operate your woodworking business legally in Virginia.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.