Drums, PA asked in Real Estate Law, Construction Law, Environmental and Municipal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: I believe my neighbor may be digging and doing construction work without the proper permits. What options do I have?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Municipal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you suspect that your neighbor is doing construction work without the proper permits, there are a few options you can consider:

Contact your local building department: You can contact your local building department to report any suspicious construction activity. They can investigate whether the proper permits have been obtained and whether the work is being done in compliance with local codes and regulations.

Contact your homeowners association: If you live in a homeowners association, you can report any suspicious construction activity to the association. They may have rules and regulations that prohibit construction work without proper permits.

Contact local law enforcement: If you suspect that the construction work is unsafe or illegal, you can contact your local law enforcement agency. They can investigate and take appropriate action if necessary.

Contact an attorney: If the construction work is causing damage to your property or interfering with your use and enjoyment of your property, you may want to consult with an attorney to discuss your legal options.

It's important to note that you should not take matters into your own hands by confronting your neighbor or interfering with their construction work. Instead, you should follow proper legal channels to address any concerns you may have.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.