Peoria, AZ asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Arizona

Q: If someone who is law enforcement does something illigal to you can they take a statement or claim from you legally?

1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Divelbiss
Zachary Divelbiss pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If someone is working as an active duty police officer, then they have to act in a professional manner consistent with their training. If they do something illegal then they should be reported. If something they did violated your constitutional rights and they charged you with a crime then you absolutely need to hire a lawyer to help you. If they did something illegal but didn't charge you with a crime, then you might have a civil claim against them. Either way, filing a complaint is usually the first step in the process. Without more information, this is the best information I can provide.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.