Fresno, CA asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for California

Q: Is it legal for a court commissioner to terminate your parental rights in Fresno california

And at the court date the court was on video and the screen on my side was black so all there was were audio and I don't know who I was talking to at all just they say it was a judge on the audio but on the court paper i received it say a court commissioner

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, court commissioners are authorized to hear certain types of cases, including some types of family law cases, under certain conditions. However, they do not have the authority to terminate parental rights in any case, except with the express written consent of all parties involved.

In cases where a court commissioner is authorized to hear family law matters, they typically have the power to issue orders and recommendations, but they cannot make final judgments or orders in a case, including orders for termination of parental rights. Only a judge has the authority to make a final decision on the termination of parental rights.

If you believe that your parental rights were terminated by a court commissioner in Fresno, California without proper authority, you should consult with an experienced family law attorney in the area. They can review the details of your case and advise you on your legal options, including the possibility of appealing the decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.