Reading, PA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Pennsylvania

Q: My landlord refuses to fix a major health and safety hazards. What can I do?

Mold EVERYWHERE. Black mold (kids are sick constantly)

Bathtub is about to fall through ceiling

Bathroom sink fell on daughters head and it's still not attached it's just in the basement.

Walls are falling apart and cracking.

I have 4 kids and no where else to go

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nellie T Schulz
Nellie T Schulz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Philadlephia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You should contact your local municipal property authority and ask to have the leased premises inspected for code violations and to determine whether the premises is fit for human habitation. You will need a written report and if the leased premises is in as bad a shape as you say, the landlord will be forced to bring the property up to code and you will be able to pay your rent into escrow through the courts. Alternatively, you will be able to move out, receive any security deposit back, and no longer be responsible for paying rent.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.