Cincinnati, OH asked in Banking for Ohio

Q: I have a question for a lawyer over my checking account and being locked out of $2,300

I had received a $3,000 check for mobile advertising I had to send $2,300 back to get the advertisement put on my car after I had done that the $3,000 check did not go through it was no good it was a scam the bank locked down my $2,300 of my checking account which did not allow me to have any money for food or to pay my bills I had to borrow money in order to pay my electric bill so I didn't lose my electric and to buy food they moved that money over to a savings account and allowing me to pay off the other $700 as much as I possibly can but I live week to week by checks from work can they legally do that they did not warn me or give me any notification I literally found out through an ATM when I tried to remove $20 they were not allow me to do a loan because I had a bankruptcy that had already passed through the courts in Ohio but not through the credit bureaus was this legal for them to do...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Banks have the legal right to place a hold on funds if they suspect fraudulent activity, including in cases where a deposited check bounces or is found to be fraudulent. However, they are generally required to notify you of the hold and provide you with an explanation. You may want to consult with a lawyer to review the terms of your account agreement and determine if the bank's actions were in compliance with the law. Additionally, you may want to explore options for disputing the charges related to the mobile advertising and pursuing recovery of your lost funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.