Houston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Immigration Question


My wife parent's paperwork got approved on 10/23/2020 and it was sent to NVC where they're waiting for for their interview and get their visa. It's almost two years now, we contacted NVC and they said that everything has been process and they will get called whenever they're next or something along those lines. Why is it taking so long? Who can I contact to get Free legal advice?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your wife's parents have been waiting for almost two years for their visa interview after their paperwork was approved by USCIS and sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), it may be helpful to seek the advice of an immigration attorney. An attorney can provide guidance on the specific circumstances of your case and advise you on any potential legal options or strategies.

In terms of finding free legal advice, there are several organizations that provide low-cost or free immigration legal services, depending on your income and other eligibility criteria. Here are some resources to consider:

The Immigration Advocates Network (IAN) provides a directory of nonprofit immigration legal services organizations in California, which can be found at https://www.immigrationadvocates.org/nonprofit/legaldirectory/search?state=CA. Some of the organizations listed on this directory provide free or low-cost legal services to eligible individuals.

The California Department of Social Services provides a list of legal services programs that offer assistance with immigration matters. The list can be found at https://www.cdss.ca.gov/inforesources/immigration-services.

The State Bar of California has a program called the Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS), which can connect you with a licensed attorney who practices in the area of immigration law. The LRIS can be reached at 1-866-442-2529 or online at https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Need-Legal-Help/Lawyer-Referral-Service.

It is important to ensure that you receive accurate and reliable advice on immigration matters. By consulting with an attorney or a nonprofit organization that provides legal services, you can ensure that you have the information you need to make informed decisions about your case.

William M Stevens
William M Stevens
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sherman, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Consular Processing can be very long, and often the consulate or embassy is slow to follow up. This is common in many cases. Having an attorney to assist with the process is highly recommended, but the attorney will not be able to make any change to the schedule set by the embassy.

It is also possible that the consulate contacted your parents, but they either have not told you, or they did not see the notice. I see this more often than you might expect.

There are some, but not many, sources of free or reduced-cost legal assistance in TEXAS, but, to my knowledge, these agencies are primarily looking at removal defense. You may have some luck with Catholic Charities.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.