Asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: I got a letter from the county attorney's office saying that a complaint has been made and I MUST talk to them by phone.

I got a letter from the county attorney's office saying that a complaint has been made and I MUST talk to them by phone. I do not know the nature of this complaint . The Police did not talk to me about anything. Should I talk to them or not? I'm very suspicious about this. THANKS

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jonathan Blecher
Jonathan Blecher pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Scams are everywhere, so you're wise to be wary of a random letter from anyone. "County Attorneys" mostly handle civil or administrative actions involving the government or county ordinance violations, while "State Attorneys" prosecute crimes. If the letter is from the State Attorney, it may be that someone has filed a police report against you and they are investigating it before formally filing charges.

You should retain an attorney, send them the letter, and they will investigate it for you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Sherry Ivey Jones
Sherry Ivey Jones
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Key West, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you are under investigation (complaint made), then you should assert your right to remain silent. Being accused of any crime is serious and you should hire an attorney to investigate and defend you.

You are correct to be suspicious of any letter because there are many scams.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.