Houston, TX asked in Landlord - Tenant for Texas

Q: I need to talk in detail to an attorney. There is so much they did illegally that we had a restraining order on them

We have been harassed, attacked, threatened, filed false police reports on us, kept disconnecting our power and cut off our air conditioning in the middle of summer with my new born premature son in the apartment. They threatened to harm him and the list goes on. We had to get an emergency restraining order on them and it was extended. They were trying everything to get us to leave because they couldn’t evict us. I was terrified to leave my house and eventually had to get on antidepressants because of it. There is so much more to tell we just need someone to sit down and hear the whole story. They are continuing to harass us by putting in my husband’s credit report that we owe them $27,000 . This is causing us so much pain And suffering. Our son is autistic and needs structure but since this is on our credit we can’t find anyone to rent to us so we have to hotel hop. Please we need some legal advice. We want to sue. We have so much proof against them and they continue to cause us pain

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should contact a competent attorney with experience in residential landlord-tenant law in or near the county where the premises are located.

Most provide an initial consultation for a reasonable price. Such an attorney should be able to tell you if you have a valid claim and can tell you how much in legal fees and expenses it will cost to get a lawsuit started.

Before your first consultation, gather together your lease, your evidence that you consistently paid your rent on time each month, and any written communications with your landlord, including all email and text messages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.