Miami, FL asked in Child Support and Federal Crimes for Florida

Q: Where can I find the laws for child support services on collecting on the debt?


Can some from child support call me from their personal cell?

Can child support text me without my consent?

Can the FTC regulate Child Support Services?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: The laws related to child support services and debt collection can be found in the federal Child Support Enforcement Act (42 U.S.C. 651 et seq.) and the Federal Trade Commission Act (15 U.S.C. § 41 et seq.).

Regarding your specific questions:

It is not recommended for child support representatives to contact you from their personal cell phone. Generally, they should only contact you through official channels, such as phone numbers and email addresses associated with their agency.

Child support representatives should not send text messages without your consent. They should only use official communication methods, such as mail or email, unless you have provided explicit consent for them to contact you via text message.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) does not regulate child support services. The FTC's primary focus is on consumer protection and competition. However, the FTC may investigate complaints related to unfair or deceptive practices by child support agencies or debt collectors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.