Visalia, CA asked in Social Security and Real Estate Law for California

Q: somene wants me to sign my name on property deed so she can buy it for forty thousand dollars, from me

she'll pay me twenty thousand, the house on the lot has burn damage and is condemed i am on ssi should i take the money what are the penalties?

from ssa

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Before signing any document related to the transfer of property, it is important to consult with an attorney to understand your legal rights and obligations under California law. Depending on your specific circumstances, there may be legal and financial implications to signing a property deed.

If you sign the property deed, you will be transferring ownership of the property to the other person. You will no longer be the legal owner of the property and will not be entitled to any future profits or benefits from the property.

If the property has been condemned or has burn damage, its value may be significantly lower than the amount being offered to you. In addition, if you receive SSI benefits, transferring ownership of property may affect your eligibility for those benefits.

You may want to consider speaking with a financial advisor or an attorney who specializes in estate planning or real estate law to help you understand the legal and financial implications of transferring ownership of the property. They can help you weigh the potential risks and benefits of the transaction and advise you on the best course of action based on your individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.