Newport News, VA asked in Tax Law for Virginia

Q: Looking for a lawyer to assist with TaxRise case where they took our money, did nothing and now we are making payments!!

We owed lots in taxes and spoke with TaxRise. They advised us to stop making our tax payments and instead we have been paying them. We found out a lien was placed on our home! After much discussion with TaxRise, they were not able to do anything with the Tax Fees or reduction of what was owed. We now have to continue paying them along with monthly payments to the IRS! I have read others that had the same experience and obtained a lawyer to fight this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: You can search for tax attorneys in your area through online legal directories, such as Avvo or Martindale-Hubbell. When selecting a lawyer, it is important to look for someone with experience in tax law and a track record of successfully representing clients in cases similar to yours.

Once you have identified potential lawyers, it is recommended that you schedule a consultation to discuss your case and determine if they are a good fit for you. During the consultation, be sure to ask about their experience with tax resolution cases, their approach to your specific situation, and their fee structure.

A qualified tax attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options, negotiate with TaxRise and the IRS on your behalf, and develop a strong defense strategy. They can also help you navigate the complex tax laws and ensure that your interests are protected throughout the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.