Flushing, NY asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for New York

Q: Looking for a small claims court lawyer in Queens NY

I have a default judgment in my favor, against the defendant from the small claims court for lost personal property damages. I have tried contacting the defendant many times and have had the court sent over the judgment many times but he refuses to respond or make any contact. I want to know what should be my next step? Is there any lawyer that handles small claims court cases that can assist me? Apart from this case, I have another small claim that I need to file regarding the incorrect work done on my car’s radio and electrical issues. I need a lawyer that can help me with both of these cases.

1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Michael Luisi
Daniel Michael Luisi
  • Licensed in New York

A: What you need is a lawyer who can utilize the judgment enforcement devices found in article 52 of the CPLR, the most common ones being bank levies and wage garnishments. The effectiveness of these procedures depends on whether the defendant has collectible assets: this can be determined from a skip trace investigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.