Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Legal Malpractice for Illinois

Q: A magistrate denied me counsel after going through 5 public defenders which 3 withdrew because they had represented the

Other party for a charge of violation of a no contact order which in IA is automatic 7 days jail..cannot be suspended. He can't deny me new one gave me lawyer that had to withdraw from other party to represent me HELP

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If a magistrate has denied you counsel, you may want to consider seeking legal assistance from other sources. For example, you can try contacting legal aid organizations or private attorneys who may be willing to represent you. You can also request a court-appointed attorney or file a motion with the court to have the magistrate's decision reviewed. It is important to understand your legal rights and options in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.