New York, NY asked in Collections, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for New York

Q: A friend sublet an old apt to me an has not made any payment on the unit with the money I paid to her. Do I have a case?

I was informed that she isn’t able to recertify her housing government assistance apartment while have an outstanding balance. Is that accurate? Also I have asked countless times to see where my payments have been sent and I have not gotten any response from her. I’ve asked her for the information tenant id to login so I can see the information like I have in the past and was ignored. One can only believe that something possibly could be wrong. So I was informed to take her to small claims court being that I have no proof that the $3220 I paid has been put on the account.

1 Lawyer Answer
Steven Warren Smollens
Steven Warren Smollens
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Dear Manhattan Tenant:

You may have been taken for a ride. The Tenant is not allowed to sublet subsidized housing where the tenant is required to certify. There is no barrier to certification even with a rent-due balance.

Peter J. Weinman and Daniel Michael Luisi agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.