Washington, DC asked in Contracts and Construction Law for Maryland

Q: Contractor got money but never completed restaurant buildout

I paid a person having Construction Firm license to build a restaurant but he escaped with money & never delivered. I paid him a lot of money already, but he delivered minimal work and all went wrong. I live in Maryland, so does he. Kindly please advice what I can do. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C. Valkenet
Thomas C. Valkenet
  • Construction Law Lawyer
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you think he has assets sufficient to satisfy your debt, consider a lawsuit in the courts. Depending on the amount to be claimed, you can sue in either the district or circuit courts. There are many causes of action for breach of a contract to provide construction services. You can also complete the work with a replacement contractor and sue for the increased completion cost. But construction matters are not easy, and litigation is not cheap. Be prepared to pay tens of thousands in fees to get your lawsuit to a point of decision or resolution by settlement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.