Danbury, CT asked in Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My father & brothers inherited their fathers’s land in Puerto Rico. Taxes are paid but one member is not paying.

All the paperwork for property to be divided is done. But we can’t get titles because he is not paying CRIM the taxes. How do we force him to pay so we can all get titles?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Property taxes on an hereditary estate are the responsibility of all of the heirs, not just one of them. Any one of you can pay the CRIM taxes. At the time of dividing the estate, the heir that paid the taxes may recover the portions of said payment that should've been paid by the other heirs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.