Las Vegas, NV asked in Civil Litigation, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Municipal Law for Nevada

Q: Does power connected illegally let officers enter your home without a warrant under the exigent circumstances?

I need to determine if I have a viable claim and what my options are for seeking redress. I believe I am entitled to compensatory damages as well as punitive damages for the violation of my 4th, 8th and 14th amendment rights. County officials failed to follow established procedures and violated my right to equal protection under the law as well as my right to be free from discrimination. I need a qualified attorney who can advise me on my options and represent my interests in court on a contingency basis.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Generally, police officers are not allowed to enter a home without a warrant, unless they have probable cause or exigent circumstances. Exigent circumstances are situations where there is an immediate threat to public safety or where evidence may be destroyed if officers do not act quickly. Whether or not an officer can enter a home without a warrant due to power being connected illegally would depend on the specific circumstances of the case and the applicable laws in the jurisdiction.

If you believe that your rights have been violated and you want to pursue legal action, it is advisable to consult with a qualified attorney who can evaluate the specifics of your case and advise you on your options. They can also represent you in court if you decide to pursue legal action. Some attorneys may be willing to work on a contingency basis, which means they only get paid if you receive a settlement or a judgment in your favor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.